I have used many headsets and earbuds over the years. My current earbuds are Bluetooth, which is needed these days, but they constantly fall out of my ears. With always doing something outdoors, working out, or just walking around, I want something that I can use everywhere and does not fall out of my ears all the time.
That is when I found AfterShokz! These things are so amazing that I decided I need to write up a quick review. As always, if I miss anything or if there are any questions you have about these, let me know in the comments below.
I am running my site ad-free! Just know that some of the links in this post could be affiliate links. Yes, I might earn a small commission, but this does NOT cost you anything extra. Check out my full disclosure for more info.
If you only want to know if you should give AfterShokz a chance, my suggestion is Hell YES!
Why You Should Buy These
I purchased the ones pictured below, and I have used them every day since. To make a long story short, I could not be happier with my purchase.
Suppose you are like me and research a lot before buying a product. You will read online reviews, do many online searches, and ask everyone if they know anything about the product you are searching for.
I found reviews that said they didn’t like this headset. The interesting thing was the negative reviews I found were because they wanted them to act as regular over-the-ear headphones.
What I Was Looking For
The main reason I wanted to test these headphones out was that I want to hear what was going on around me.
A few examples are when I’m at work, writing (like right now), walking, running, or riding my bike (side note, did you know, in the state of CA, having both your ears covered while driving or riding a bike is illegal?). The Aftershokz do a perfect job for what I have been looking for.
I have yet to wrap my head around because you can make these headphones noise canceling too!
When you purchase these, there are earplugs included in the box. So, once you put the headset on, insert the earplugs, and you can still hear your music or podcast you are listening to!
If that sounds crazy, it is! Almost like magic!
I always want to provide you with the best gear and equipment that I use. Well, if you are looking for a ‘treat yourself’ gadget or want to give someone the best gift ever, you should consider the AfterShokz.
These are by far the BEST “earbud headphones” that I have ever used. See the image below. I’d say they look pretty cool too!
What Is Bone Conduction Technology?
I know I had no clue what it was, but I was intrigued once I found out.
First, you need to decide what it is that you are looking for. You will be happy to know there are different AfterShokz versions on the market, such as the Aeropex, Air Headphones, OpenMove Headphones, and the Titanium Wireless Headphones.
Put simply, the bone conduction technology delivers the music through your cheekbones. This allows your ears to be open to hear what is going on around you.
There is some science and tech stuff, but know it’s the transducers that send mini vibrations through the cheekbones to deliver the sound directly to your inner ear. Something interesting is that this technology bypasses the eardrum completely.
And therefore, putting earplugs in your ears (if your environment requires that) allows you to still hear your music! It even provides more bass and low end as well.
I like to makes lists of pros and cons for pretty much everything. As you can see from the image above, these are not a cheap investment. You want to make sure you are getting your money’s worth. Let’s start with the pros, there are many, but I will sum it up to my top ones.
- They are super light, weighing in at less than an ounce (or about 26 grams). In fact, I often forget they are even on.
- Very easy to use.
- Sound surprisingly good, considering they are not in your ears.
- Reliable, as they don’t fall off your head. And I have used them hiking, walking, working out, running, on a bike, at work (don’t tell anyone), and just around the house.
- Work for hours, the website says eight, but I have used mine for around nine.
- You only need two hours or so to recharge.
- The ones I have are even IP67 rated, aka sweat and weatherproof.
- It can become noise-canceling (once you put in earplugs).
One other thing about noise-canceling headphones. I’m not sure what it is, but I have a headset that has a button I can push. Once a few seconds go by, I start feeling nauseated. It might be due to not being a super high-end headset, but I never use it. If I’m in an environment that is loud, I will use earplugs. Having the Aftershokz allows me to still listen to music and not feel nauseated!
These are made to be with you for the toughest workouts and adventures. And because I know someone will ask, no, I would not recommend swimming with these. On the Aftershokz website, they have a version for swimming, but I’m not much of a swimmer, so that didn’t interest me. Rain, sweat, and the elements did, and these have been working perfectly.
I have honestly only found a few cons with these.
- Not great for talking on the phone. They are okay for a quick call or to listen to voicemail. But I have found that while on the phone, the person on the other end will complain about the wind. It could be very light wind, something you don’t even feel, but they will hear it. There are two different microphones on this headset, and it seems to pick up pretty much everything.
- The backstrap doesn’t make them comfortable sitting down, such as in a car with a headrest or an airplane. This makes the backstrap push against your ears. This is due to the construction of them as they wrap around your head. I did find a fix for this. All I do is flip them around, so they are under my jaw (instead of behind my head). This allows them to work still.
- The last and biggest complaint is using the function button. Every time you push it, there is a loud beep. It’s frustrating that you cannot make it quieter. I’m sure there is a reason they did this, but it is the biggest issue I have with these.
These are the only complaints that I could find with these. They are not deal-breakers.
Get Yours Today
If you are looking for a truly amazing pair of Bluetooth headphones, you have found them.
So have I convinced you to get your own yet? There are a few different price points. The ones I got are in the image below.
Click this image to learn out more!