We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, but this does NOT cost you anything extra! Check out my full disclosure for more info.
Updated: October 8, 2022
Do you like simple ways to make your life easier?
I’m sure we can all answer YES to that question.
Life hacks have been an obsession of mine for a while now. I must admit that learning things that make your life easier is always good.
Most of the videos and other blog posts I’ve read all say the same thing recently. Life hacks are becoming common. Who would have thought that would happen?
But every once in a while, you find the hidden gem. And that is the reason for today’s post. I’ve wanted to post this for a few months now, and why wait any longer? Today is better than just sitting on this.
The following is the start of my ever-growing list of LIFE HACKS!
Do you have any life hacks that you use? I would love to hear about them.
Scroll to the bottom and add yours in the comments!
Here’s a quick hack to get us started (I use this daily).
Want to search for something specific?
Hold down the “Ctrl” key and click “F.”
This will open a search bar, and you can type anything to search the page you are on!
If you want more keyboard shortcuts, let me know.
Eric’s Simple Life Hacks
I was having trouble giving this section a name, but I figured it would do for now.
Depending on how long this list gets, I will do my best to categorize them. But who knows what will happen? Let’s get started with the simple life hacks in no particular order.
Around The House
- Eggshells – use a large section of the empty eggshell to scoop out the broken piece.
- Cookbook – get your cookbook, or recipe, out of the way by using a pant hanger to hold it. You can use the hook to place it up off the counter too.
- Nobody likes a warm beer. Take a wet paper towel, wrap the beer, and stick it in the freezer. It will get colder much faster.
- Suppose you want to cool down your wine (I learned this in Napa) and freeze grapes. It will cool down the wine better than using ice. My advice is to get fancy and freeze white grapes for white wine.
- Leftover coffee (first of all, what is wrong with you), but if you happen to have extra, freeze the coffee ice trays. This is the best way to enjoy iced coffee, as it won’t taste watered down as it melts! It makes me wonder why coffee shops don’t do this.
- Want to make the best-hardboiled eggs you’ve ever had? Use an InstaPot. It takes about 15 minutes, but you will get eggs that you can peel the eggs with one hand.
- No need to use a bowl for chips anymore! This takes a little practice, but you can fold the bottom of all chip bags inward to create a bowl that will stand independently.
- Here is an amazing one if you don’t have a chip clip. Roll the top of the bag like usual, and use your thumbs to fold in the two ends (that you have rolled up) so they meet in the center. Now fold the centers back on themselves. With some practice, you will see that the bag is now tight, and no more chip clips are needed!
- Toothpaste – use the edge of the counter to push the toothpaste from the end of the tube to the business end. I have also seen people cut the bottom of the tube to get the last bit out.
Other, Around The House Hacks
- Use vertical space if you need more room in your home (or converted vehicle). You can fit many things you would otherwise never have thought of.
- I found if you fold your shirts in your dresser and stack them vertically, you save a ton of room. And you can see all the shirts you have. I do this will everything in my dresser.
- You can get more space in your closet by using the metal tab on the top of a pop (soda) can. You can place one hole over a hanger and easily attach a second hanger to the second hole. This will give you extra space in your closet. (when you are drinking your pop, if you rotate the tab toward the drinking hole, you can slide a straw inside, and it won’t move around).
- One of my favorite items is using paper or binder clips for everything. A few examples are a chip clip, holding cords on the side of your desk, organizing my small cables (phone charger and earbuds), and hanging many things in my car to my wallet.
- Suppose you want to label a thousand cords you have. Save the plastic bread clips. You will find you can write on them. They are different colors and can easily clip onto cords.
- Want your clothes to dry faster? (I have yet to try this one, but I think it sounds promising.) After putting your wet clothes into the dryer, put a (clean) dry towel in with it. Apparently, this allows your clothes to dry faster!
Random Things To Help
In The Great Outdoors
- Firestarter, what to know, a great fire starter, and a great camp snack? Doritos. I know that sounds strange, but they can be set on fire. The cheese ones work the best.
- Cardboard TP rolls, and fill them with dryer lint for a perfect fire starter. (you can also cut a TP roll down one side and use it to hold your wrapping paper which makes it so it doesn’t unravel, and you don’t have to use a rubber band).
- If you are in the desert and get those damn cactus needles, there is an easy way to get them out. Pick up a cheap plastic comb to get them out easily, and you don’t have to touch them.
- Another one for warm beer. If you have a cooler with ice, add some salt to it. Amazingly enough, it will get your beverages cooler faster! I have found that you should rinse or wipe off the top of a can before drinking (salty beer is no good).
Other Random Stuff I’ve Done
- If you can’t seem to blow out a candle, hold your finger in front of it, then blow again.
- Speaking of candles, use a piece of dry spaghetti pasta if you need to light one but can’t get to the wick.
- Need to fill a bucket with water, but the bucket doesn’t fit? You have two options: 1. Use a dustpan to fill a bucket, or 2. I used a pool noodle by attaching one end to the faucet and the other to the bucket on the floor.
- When you remove a sticker or a price label from something you purchased, there is a sticky residue you can never seem to get off. Try spraying it with a little WD-40, wipe it off, and you will be surprised! The sticky residue will be gone!
- A travel hack for you all – use an ATM when you get to your destination. I wish someone had told me this was a fantastic hack long ago. If you want more info on this hack, leave me a comment below.
- Side Note: I take my bank card, ensuring I never get charged fees, including ATMs worldwide!
- My example – is when I reach my destination, I find the first ATM, insert my card, and take out money for the next day or two. The ATM will spit out denominations in the country you are in! The best part, I never have a TON of cash on me.
Ensure your card offers free exchange rates and no extra fees.
Add Your Life Hacks In The Comments
I am 100% sure you have your life hack that I didn’t mention above.
All your ideas and suggestions are welcome. The best way to do this is to leave your hack in the comments below. This way, we can continue learning and make our daily lives easier.
I’m excited and cannot wait to hear what your life hack, or hacks, are.