We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, but this does NOT cost you anything extra! Check out my full disclosure for more info.
Do you like simple ways to make your life easier?
I’m sure we can all answer YES to that question. Life hacks have been an obsession of mine for a while now. I have to admit, learning things that make your life easier is always a good thing.
Recently, most of the videos and other blog posts I’ve read all say the same thing. Life hacks are becoming common, who would have thought that would happen?
But every once in a while you find the hidden gem. And that is the reason for today’s post. I’ve been wanting to post this for a few months now, and why wait any longer? Today is better than just sitting on this.
The following is the start of my ever-growing list of LIFE HACKS!
Do you have any life hacks that you use? I would love to hear about them.
Scroll to the bottom and add yours in the comments!
Eric’s Simple Life Hacks
I was having trouble giving this section a name, but I figured it will do for now.
Depending on how long this list gets, I will do my best to categorize them. But who knows what will happen. Let’s get started with the simple life hacks that are in no particular order.
Around The House
- Eggshells – use a large section of the empty eggshell to scoop out the broken piece.
- Cookbook – get your cookbook, or recipe, out of the way by using a pant hanger to hold it. You can use the hook to place it up off the counter too.
- Nobody likes a warm beer. Take a wet paper towel, wrap up the beer, and stick it in the freezer. It will get colder much faster.
- Suppose you want to cool down your wine (I learned this in Napa), freeze grapes. It will cool down the wine better than using ice. My advice is to get fancy and freeze white grapes for white wine.
- Leftover coffee (first of all, what is wrong with you), but if you happen to have extra, freeze the coffee ice trays. This is the best way to enjoy iced coffee as it won’t taste watered down as it melts! It makes me wonder why coffee shops don’t do this.
- Want to make the best-hardboiled eggs you’ve ever had? Use an InstaPot. It takes about 15 minutes, but you will get eggs that you can actually peel the eggs with one hand.
- No need to use a bowl for chips anymore! This takes a little bit of practice, but you can fold the bottom of all chip bags inward to create a bowl that will stand on its own.
- Toothpaste – use the edge of the counter to push the toothpaste from the end of the tube to the business end. I have also seen people cut the bottom of the tube to get the last bit out too.
Around The House
- If you ever need more space in your home (or converted vehicle), remember to use the vertical space. You can fit an amazing amount of things you would otherwise never have thought of.
- I found if you fold your shirts in your dresser and stack them vertically, you save a ton of room. And you can see all the shirts you have. I do this will everything in my dresser.
- You can get more space in your closet by using the metal tab on the top of a pop (soda) can. You can place one hole over a hanger and then easily attach a second hanger to the second hole. This will give you extra space in your closet. (when you are drinking your pop, if you rotate the tab toward the drinking hole, you can slide a straw inside, and it won’t move around).
- One of my favorite items is using paper or binder clips for practically everything. A few examples are a chip clip, holding cords on the side of your desk, organizing my small cables (phone charger and earbuds), hanging many things in my car to my wallet.
- Suppose you want to label the thousand cords you have. Save the plastic bread clips. You will find you can write on them. They are different colors and can easily clip onto cords.
Random Things To Help
In The Great Outdoors
- Firestarter, what to know a great fire starter as well as a great camp snack? Doritos. I know that sounds strange, but they can be set on fire. The cheese ones work the best.
- Cardboard TP rolls, fill them with dryer lint for a perfect fire starter. (you can also cut a TP roll down one side and use it to hold your wrapping paper which makes it so it doesn’t unravel, and you don’t have to use a rubber band).
- If you are in the desert and get those damn cactus needles, there is an easy way to get them out. Pick up a cheap plastic comb to get them out easily, and you don’t have to touch them.
- Another one for warm beer. If you have a cooler with ice, add some salt to it. Amazingly enough, it will get your beverages cooler faster! I have found that you should rinse or wipe off the top of a can before drinking (salty beer is no good).
Other Random Stuff I’ve Done
- If you can’t seem to blow out a candle, hold your finger in front of it, then blow again.
- Speaking of candles, if you need to light one but can’t get to the wick, use a piece of dry spaghetti pasta.
- Need to fill a bucket with water, but the bucket doesn’t fit? You have two options: 1. Use a dustpan to fill a bucket, or 2. I have used a pool noodle by attaching one end to the faucet and the other end in the bucket on the floor.
- When you remove a sticker or a price label from something you purchased, and there is a sticky residue that you cannot ever seem to get off. Try spraying it with a little bit of WD-40, wipe it off and you will be surprised! The sticky residue will be gone!
- A travel hack for you all – use an ATM when you get to your destination. This is an amazing hack that I wish someone told me a long time ago. If you want more info on this hack, leave me a comment below.
- Side Note: I take my bank card which I made sure I never get charged any fees, including ATMs worldwide!
- My example – when I get to my destination, I find the first ATM, insert my card, and take out money for the next day or two. The ATM will spit out denominations in the country you are in! The best part, I never have a TON of cash on me.
Again, just make sure your card offers free exchange rates and no extra fees.
Add Your Own Life Hacks In The Comments
I am 100% sure you have your own life hack that I didn’t mention above. It would be amazing if you would leave a comment below and share it with us.
I’m excited and cannot wait to hear what your own life hack, or hacks, are.