We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, but this does NOT cost you anything extra! Check out my full disclosure for more info.
I love this time of year. Depending on where you live, the weather is starting to get cooler, trees are changing, and sweaters are coming out from the back of the closet.
If you happen to have set the clocks back, maybe you are getting used to how dark it is? Or perhaps you are like me and still cannot believe it!
Daylight savings aside, today I am going to cover some things all outdoor enthusiasts enjoy. Because…
The holidays are just around the corner!
While listening to the news, I heard something shocking. This year, 2021, will have an extended holiday season (I heard on USA Today). Meaning Black Friday deals have already started!
Since writing a similar post last year, I wanted to write an updated one.
And considering all the holiday decorations up in stores, ads online and on TV, and the music in stores, I figured I may post it now.
Posting this early should give you plenty of time to find that perfect gift.
For the record, I think the holidays don’t start until after Thanksgiving.
Remember To Breathe
It’s so interesting how many people get stressed about this time of year.
Granted, I refuse to be involved with holiday shopping, such as all the Black Friday Sales. I’ll let you in on a secret. Most of the time, you can find better deals online.
Yeah, I went there.
That means you don’t have to take your life into your own hands, and you can shop in the comfort of your own home, stay in your pajamas, and sip on hot cocoa (or other beverage of choice).
There are many things to consider when shopping for gifts for loved ones. I think you should consider gifts that don’t take up much room and will last all year long.
I’m starting to include a quick link in some of my posts. For example, you can click on a section you are interested in and go directly to that section. Otherwise, continue reading and see what my suggestions are for your outdoor enthusiast.
Depending on what you believe, this time of year is not just about all the gifts you get and give. Remember what makes you happy in life, and I bet that involves friends and family.
Especially if you have a small or nonexistent budget, I don’t think spending your savings (or emergency fund) on gifts for others isn’t wise.
Saying that in another way, if there are a lot of presents and gifts, you need to get. Do NOT go into debt for the holidays.
You don’t NEED to buy anyone anything.
Here’s an idea that I have shared with others, and now you too.
The Bright Idea
The main focus here is to NEVER go into debt during the holidays.
Just think about this for a second, why don’t you budget for the holidays? You know when this happens every year.
You know how much you will spend, so start saving in January, even if it’s only a few bucks a month.
Like many other families, mine would spend a lot every year. Only to suffer for the next few months on realizing how much you spent on everyone.
We started something where we all agreed not to buy anything, or we would draw names. Similar to a secret Santa.
If you decide to draw names, you can even include a few rules.
It takes the stress out
You should give this idea a try.
After everyone is stuffed from the Thanksgiving meal, write everyone’s names down and place them into a hat.
Discuss what you want the “rules” to be. Is there a dollar amount (I suggest you put one, say $50)? Are the kids going to be involved? Or, everyone can decide if they want to get presents for the kids in the group.
Another option is to partner up for buying the kids something. Since everyone is on the same page (this year) for the holidays, it will make the conversation much more manageable.
Now that the rules have been established go around the room, and everyone chooses a name.
Again, you might remember this as an office Secret Santa, gift exchange, or something similar.
Not only will you save money, not go into debt, but you will notice how much you enjoy this year’s holiday season. And best of all, you will have less stress!
I decided not to read last year’s post on gift ideas. So there are things on this list that will probably be on the last one.
But, I’m confident there is something for everyone here.
As you know, I’m on the minimalism path.
But there are things that even a minimalist, business owner, and regular person would be interested in here.
MY CURRENT TOP 5
For this list, I have included the two subscription services I cannot live without.
Not only will anyone get a lot of use out of them, but they are perfect for those serious about minimalism and a simple lifestyle.
Click the links below to find out more. I’ve written about each of these over the year(s). And they wouldn’t be on my top 5 if I didn’t think they were terrific.
- Focus at Will
- Black Rifle Coffee (this will take you to my other website)
- Athletic Greens
If you want more ideas to get your mind going, continue reading. As you may know, I love gear and have a thousand more ideas.
Don’t see anything that works for you? Let me know in the comments below. I will share other possible ideas with you.
- AeroPress – Truly the best way to make coffee, at home or on the road.
- Hydroflask – These are some of the best mugs, cups, and bags you will find.
- Anker – Amazing options for small portable power.
- Exped mega mat – The best sleep you will get while camping.
- Portable pump – The best way for inflating your sleeping mats or inflatable pillows, and it has a little light too.
- Eno hammocks – Something that is good for relaxing or camping. I suggest looking into getting tree straps and a rain tarp as well.
- Scrubzz – By far the best option for staying clean on the road, camping, emergency bag, or if you need a quick cleanup.
- Buff – So many uses for these. There are tons of designs and colors, but I really believe everyone should have (at least) one.
- Blanket – Again, there are tons of options, but I like the Therm-a-Rest one.
- Sleeping bag – Many ideas. But I’m not including a link, since I suggest going to an outdoor store and testing a few before purchasing one.
- Luci lights – Convenient solar lights that are perfect for home or in your car.
SCHOOL and BUSINESS
- Computer stand – This one is compact and has helped with overall comfort for hours on my laptop.
- Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth mouse – There are many options. The goal is to make your computer work for you.
HEALTH and FITNESS
- Tapp Brothers – One of my most visited posts, but click here to get a fantastic deal. You will discover a tremendous workout program you can do at home.
- Yoga – Another great course you can take with you on the road.
- Pay for a personal trainer. Which can cost a good amount of money, but it’s totally worth it (speaking from personal experience and something I look forward to paying for again someday).
- Find local classes (yoga, martial arts, and so on). Not only will you learn a great skill, get healthy, but you will meet link-minded people too.
- Learn about bodyweight movements (with the Tapp Brothers or buy them a pair of rings, TRX, or a kettlebell).
- Sobakawa pillow – The best pillow you will ever buy because we all need a great night’s sleep.
I Hope This Helped
Keeping this post shorter was my goal. I wanted to create something that you could use as a reference for people that either work from home or spend time in the great outdoors.
I hope that something here will work for you and if not, let me know in the comments below. Just provide some additional information, I will have a few more suggestions for you.
If you don’t know what to buy, my biggest suggestion is to think of gifts that have multiple uses.
A perfect example is the Buff. When I worked in sales in the outdoor industry, these were my ‘go-to’ suggestion for customers that didn’t know what to buy. And yes, they have multiple uses too!
Are any of these your favorite, or better yet, did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below!